It's time to Discover BPS
Families should start preparing for Kindergarten (K1 for 4 years old and K2 for 5 years old) a full year in advance of their start date, which is the September before their child turns 4 or 5. For a few families, it may start sooner. Boston Public Schools (BPS) has a number of a very limited number of seats for K0 programs for children who are 3 by September 1. There are 76 Early Learning Centers, Elementary and K-8 schools in the City of Boston. Families can choose from a number of schools that are located close to their homes.
Attend an Information Sessions ( coming soon) for answers to all your questions about BPS schools, the registration process and more. Starting in November, Information Sessions provide tips on the transition and kindergarten selection/enrollment process, along with suggested activities to help families prepare for a successful entry into kindergarten.
During School Preview Time( Schedule coming soon) (November– January), the Boston Public Schools invites families to get to know the schools. With more than 76 early learning, elementary and K-8 schools in the City, visiting schools is the best way to decide which ones might be good matches for your child and your family. If you cannot attend a School Preview Time session, call the principal to set up visit. In most cases, you will have the opportunity to walk around the school, talk with staff and see classrooms. You may be able to meet school parents or the parent liaison.
Attending the Boston Public Schools City-wide Showcase of Schools on November 17, 2018, from 9-1 pm at Boston City Hall. This is a great way to learn about your available schools all in one place. Principals, teachers, and parents will be there to answer your questions.
Your 'Visit & Choose Schools' Checklist
Complete from October to January. The steps you need to take are listed below and all relevant documents and links are indicated in red in the Quick Links box to the right!
- Visit DiscoverBPS.org to determine which schools are in your Home Base.
- At A Glance transition year
- Attend Showcase Of Schools Saturday, November 17, 2018, at Boston City Hall
- All Schools will host School Preview Times visit our calendar for the dates and times of the schools on your list.
- Visiting schools is the best way to decide which ones might be good matches for your child and your family
- Keep track of the schools you visit by using our 'Visiting Schools Check List'
- Read Countdown to Kindergarten 'Registration Guides' for complete registration information
- Check our registration Information Sessions calendar and pick a session to attend to get up-to-date information on the registration process.
- In December, Log on to Pre-Register for schools online.
- January, Visit a Welcome Center and complete your registration process.